Thursday, December 31, 2009

Katoomba

Already, within five hours of landing, I was on a completely different path than what I'd imagined when I saw Sydney from my airplane window. I'd met Charlotte, who seems to be a long lost relative because we have so much in common, and we had plans to get out of town for an impromptu New Years. Both of us were stunned by our luck in finding each other and also a little apprehensive to leave the big city and the most expansive and impressive fireworks show on earth. We had no other choice.

I woke early on Dec. 31, had a chat with some family members and felt a bit sad, but then packed up my things and checked out of that little Criterion hotel - NEVER TO RETURN! It was my Chateau D'If. I walked to Char's hostel, one of the YHA's near the train station. It was a very nice morning. It'd rained before dawn and the air was humid but had a cool breeze. My backpack was comfortable and I was excited for the big journey ahead. Amazing how optimism comes with the new day.

I met Char outside and we got some pancakes, coffee and croissants and ate at the little cafe near the YHA. The train station was close by and we realized we had only 10 minutes to catch the out of town line or wait another 40 minutes. We purchased tickets for $12.50 each (good deal!) and ended up waiting for the 11:20 train. I really like train stations. I love the open feeling and the food. The seating is always good and people-watching in a train station is the best. We chatted and watched folks coming and going before hopping on the train to Katoomba. It was a great ride. The urban city slowly fading behind us and the outback mountains overtaking any civilization. The towns along the route are cute and small. The train snaked through the cliffs and in between picturesque stations each with their own name like Linden or Wentworth Falls.

It was slightly rainy when we stepped out into the open air of Katoomba. The town is very touristy but also retains its mountainside appeal. Shops line the main street and Char and I made it to our hostel where we'd pre-booked. We have our own room - a double bed with ensuite bathroom, and a tv. The bathroom is strange because of the shower that is literally in the middle of the room, with no curtains. You shower right next to the sink and toilet. The large mirror that lines the wall luckily fogs up quickly but it all still feels kinda gas-chamber-ish.

Char and I got settled then went for a walk to get lunch and see the town. By this time the sun was out. Katoomba's streets slant down quite a bit because it is on a mountain, something we only realized on the walk back up the hill. Lunch was delicious - we ate at the Elephant Bean and a guy named Daniel served us. We couldn't help but ask this young guy if he knew the New Years plans around town and he invited us to his friends' house for their party. What luck!! A day before we had no idea we'd be hanging with Katoomba locals for New Years. We all exchanged numbers and then Char and I strolled into the residential part of town. We found ourselves on streets where people lived all their lives and each agreed how paradoxically strange it would be if we knew one of them had walked down either my or her hometown street. To us, Katoomba is a vacation town, but for many it is home.

All the scenery here is gorgeous. Everywhere you look you can see mountains in the distance. The trees here are tropical and each little house is either adorably perfect or adorably imperfect. Along our route we stopped at a chocolate factory and Char bought some food. I haven't been very hungry since arriving, but have been eating. We bought some groceries and beer (beer is an outrageous $21 for a 6 pack!!!) and went back to cook some food and get ready. We texted Daniel and he got back to us saying to meet him at the Gearins' hotel, a place hosting a costume party for New Years. The theme: dress up like your favourite cartoon character. Char and I arrived in jeans and tank tops - we couldn't think of who we looked like.


Dan met us there with a few friends and we cabbed it back to their house. A good number of guys and girls were there and it was already 11:30pm so we were all set to ring in the New Year. As I stood in the house, I couldn't help but notice how similar to our Canadian house parties it was. It's funny how we are all living in different parts of the world but we are all the same. Beer and booze was flowing. A few of the guys were playing the guitar and bongo drums. Us girls mingled in the kitchen and chatted. The only difference between Canada and Katoomba - the scenery. The house was nestled onto a hill and overlooked the most incredible view I've seen since arriving. The mountains stretched on forever in the dark. A valley dropped down directly below the back deck and the moon was full and HUGE. I could only imagine how amazing it would be in the day time.

I soon realized I was the oldest person at the party, but it was still a blast!! Char and I left and headed back to the hostel and now I sit here, trying my best to document my experience so I keep you guys up to date and so I don't forget it either. Today is another day in Katoomba, and we have one more night here. Back to Sydney tomorrow to meet Tom for dinner. Kings of Leon just came on on my mp3. Time to go have breakfast and plan the day!!!


(Picture: me at the top of Echo Point, at the
Three Sisters lookout, Katoomba, Blue Mountains, Australia).