Sunday, December 27, 2009

It's starting... 12 hours 'til takeoff

Tomorrow's the day. As I sit in my basement, with a serene calm and comfort surrounding me, it is hard to believe that I am going to completely turn my routine upside down in less than 24 hours. As Gandalf says, 'it's the deep breath before the plunge'. It is surreal to think how far away I am going. The 15,000 km that separates me from the next three months is a vast, looming canyon and I can't wait to cross it.

My plan is now in effect. When I reread that, it is actually hard to pinpoint the exact moment it took effect. I guess it's been happening since I made the decision to travel to Australia and New Zealand for three months. Or maybe it's been in effect since my ticket was bought - either way, I leave tomorrow so I'm closer now than I've ever been.

My first stop is LA, where my 5.5 hour flight ends and I hop on a flight three times as long as that - arriving in Sydney Dec. 30, 2009. Dec. 29 doesn't exist for me. It's a day out of time. It's fourth dimensional.

Christmas was a happy rush of friends, family, and traveling. I departed Belleville for a train to Toronto, leaving my boyfriend behind. He left me alone in the small, cute Belleville train station where I waited 1.5 hours for the late train, delayed by a malfunctioning engine 10kms out of town. While I made friends with folks around me and we all discussed the inefficient Canadian rail system, I thought to myself - how different it will be to find myself in a train station on the other side of the world perhaps chatting with other people. What did the other riders know about all those around them? Who else was about to be embarking on an adventure like me?

Finally on board, and sitting in first class, free red wine was passed around and I sat enjoying Christmas Day on a 35-car train flying through the darkening Canadian country around me.

After arriving in town and celebrating a rushed Christmas dinner, one thing was certain: the next few days wouldn't be any calmer.

Boxing day presented us with incredible deals on movies and CDs at HMV - a quick stop my sister and I made to scope the sales and increase our video library. We spent nearly an hour with a few new DVDs to show for it. I will remember those last few days leading up to my trip ever so clearly because all I could think about was leaving. Now, as I sit here the eve before my adventure, I glance up casually to see one of our new collections playing. Should I put on Lord of the Rings to help prepare? Nah, this will do fine.

Tomorrow, the hours count down until 3pm, at which time I aim to be pulling up to Pearson. My mom will stay behind but my farewell entourage will consist of my sister and uncle who I've allowed to come in and wish me a quick goodbye. I'm no good at them and do not like to prolong the inevitable. Then, I'll disappear behind the frosted glass security doors...