Monday, February 8, 2010

Ain't no stoppin' us now!

Hi Y'all!

That's such a Southern greeting, but I'm mistaken for being American a lot. Most of the locals say they can decipher between my Canuck accent and an American one, but sometimes I can't even do that myself. I guess it's the 'oot' sound, for 'out', that sets me apart. They also love it when I say 'orange' and 'Carl' haha.

I'm sitting in the Cathedral Square in Christchurch, on a for-hire computer charging $3.00 per hour, which isn't too bad a price. It's nice and quiet here, 9:07am, and today Shrek and Donkey are off on another whirlwind adventure.

After leaving you all off in Middle Earth, I returned back to reality to go and stay at Jamie's place for a few nights, as all the hostels were full (well, Base was and I didn't have time to check others haha). What a great place! He lives only a few blocks from the city centre - us Torontonians could compare it to living at Queen's Quay, about 10 mins from Union - that's NOTHING. We all had a lazy day on Saturday - blogging and watching cricket - then we had the best intentions to go and watch a one man play in the park but didn't end up leaving Jamie's, we just stayed there drinking and listening to music.

The listening to music part was a feat and a half. At that moment, what I wouldn't have given for my five computer speakers and sub-wooooooooooofer from home! We sat around for about 45 minutes figuring out how to achieve ample sound with what we had - and we finally did that with some handy technical work.

Sunday was great. The guys took me to Lyttleton and Sumner to see the sights and the ocean. Everywhere is so hilly! The hills are alive, the hills have eyes, and The Hills are all popping into my mind - but this place is so picturesque. We had lattes at a local cafe and then drove up the mountain to the other side to see the OCEAN. Jamie got a video of me epic-running into the water. I only made it to my ankles, but still, I did it. We had beers on the beach listening to a two-man band, known as Stig, the name of the front runner. Mike had to steal the poster to prove what a nut Stig was. He looked like Santa on holiday and sang lousy covers of songs - all with the gall to charge $10 door cover. Luckily we didn't have to pay, but got to rag on the entertainment instead.

We all then headed to a warehouse store we Canadians would compare to Zellers and each had a hankering to watch Anchorman. Only problem - Jamie doesn't own Anchorman. Thinking we'd have no trouble picking up a copy from the giant store, we set out not knowing our task. It took four of us 45 minutes to comb through at least 5,000 dvds and none of us found what we were looking for. It was hilarious! Settling on pizza and Wedding Crashers for our Sunday entertainment instead, we called it an early night.

On Monday I went for the most amazing run through town and to the Botanic Gardens. It was so splendid being out early and getting a workout, something I've been lagging on. I was completely alone for most of it in the gardens, save for the ducks, and I'd love to go again only we are leaving early this morning for another adventure. Then, yesterday afternoon we watched the Superbowl yesterday (I felt like I actually knew more about NFL than I thought I did!), we went for dinner, and then went to sing Karaoke... again. My rendition of 'Be My Baby' was a keeper, wish I'd recorded it.

So that is where I am now. I had no idea I'd be staying in Christchurch for this long, but I love that I have no obligations (no medical? haha) to go anywhere else. Although I know I have to move along soon so I will keep y'all posted as to where that may be. Either way, think of us on our road trip today (me, Zoe, Jamie and Mike), driving up through the mountains and Arthur's Pass to head West for a fun day of sightseeing wonders.... just another day typical day of my IWA. I don't want this to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment