Friday, March 5, 2010

After the boat is the after-party

I love Bruce Springsteen. If one of his songs is playing, then I'm finding out where it's coming from, which is why I'm now sitting in this internet cafe where the Tunnel of Love album is on. I thought I'd post a quick blog before taking off, literally, to Brisbane. I'm also charging my pink mp3 player so I can listen to some MIA on the plane. In other words, I'm killing 5 hours before I head to Proserpine airport and leave the 33 degree humidity for maybe cooler and wetter weather.

Last night was a blast! Airlie Beach is a huge party town - and by huge I mean intense, like camping (inside joke) haha. In-tense, aka in tents, like camping, ohhh Dane. So I took a much needed shower and it was heaven. After 3 days of being sticky and salty in the humid ocean air, and being cramped onboard a boat, I had a bathroom larger than 2 feet and a cold shower that wasn't also occupied by a toilet. I clean up nice, and once I was done, I was ready for a night on the town. Somehow I've managed to make due with my amount of clothes and I put together a somewhat original outfit for the big Anaconda after party. (Left: Nadia, Bo and I at Phoenix).

I was ready early and went for a walk down to the beach, then went to Magnum's to have a pint as I waited for Nadia to join me. She arrived when my glass was half full and slowly others met us at the outside patio. I met two awesome Canadians, Mandy and Heath, traveling on the Anaconda, and they also happen to live close to Toronto. We are already planning a Canadian reunion. They arrived at Magnum's and so did Bo, and we all had a pre-after party before heading to Phoenix for 7. The bonus was we all got free pizza. The downside was the pizza was extraordinarily late in being delivered, thank you Domino's.

By 8:30, nearly everyone from the cruise was at Phoenix. I tried, and loved snake bite, a pitcher of beer with a shot of some sweet syrup. It's amazing! I downed a few of those and once the crew arrived, I was informed that 'Stompa', one of the crew (see pic to the left), had a treat for me at the bar. I made my way over and the jagger bombs started flowing! I personally really actually sort of dislike jagger bombs, but I had two.... maybe that's why the world is slightly swaying right now (that and the post-boat rocking).

I got to meet the owner of the Anaconda, a really nice millionaire who invited me to join him and a few others on his boat today and tonight. Unfortunately I had to decline as my flight for this afternoon was booked. That would've been amazing, though! Apparently his yacht is pure luxury - he owns a few of the sailing businesses here and rakes it in, assuming he charges similar fees for all his shipping cruises.

We danced and drank and partied it up at Phoenix before heading to Paddy's. At Paddy's, we basically did the same thing, but it was a bit more laid back with better music, in m.o. From there we headed to a third bar called Mama Africa's, which was way more clubby. By this time it's 2am and I'm exhausted. Me, Nadia, and Steff, an awesome German girl who worked on the Anaconda left and headed back to the hostels (see pic to the right).

This morning I got to sleep in til 8:11am. I've already managed to spend a bit too much money today, purchasing a gorgeous dress for Hawaii, and a few tops! I was just in a store called 'Amazing Place', yes, original, but it is indeed amazing. It's full of neat trinkets, oils, jewelry - it's kinda like 'Sharon's Place' on Bayview in T.O. Anyhoo, I found a really funny coffee table book I had to buy and now I'm ceasing my shopping spree to chill out by a computer (even though the ocean IS just right outside). I am hiding inside for a bit, though, as I'm sunscreen-less and the UV is 15 today... that's like a solar flare for Canada, and I'm already a bit roasted, so I'll wait it out until 2 or so. Then hit the beach, catch my plane, and arrive in Brizzy for a few nights. That's where I'll pick up again - I can't wait for Friday and Vancouver and to see Kates... it's been SOOO LONG since I've seen SISTO!!! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment