Monday, March 15, 2010

Back on home soil

I'm back. I can't believe it! I'm on Canadian soil. Yikes! It's been so long... I've done so much and now I'm back where people have Canadian accents, where the money includes the lingo 'toonies' and 'loonies', and where the weather is cold and grey. The cold ocean welcomed me from the plane -- from where I spent 14 hours locked in a seated limbo.

I actually was able to entertain myself better than on the United Airlines flight I took from L.A. to Sydney... I watched a few movies. They were: Star Trek -- yes I finally watched it. I loved it. Then I watched Up in the Air, and I really enjoyed it. I love Anna Kendrick. Then I subjected myself to torture by watching New Moon - the worst movie ever but I still sat through it (I had no other choice as I was craving R.P.). Finally, after tossing and turning and unable to sleep in the upright position I watched Fantastic Mr. Fox and loved it! It was kinda weird in parts but I love Wes Anderson and love how he reuses celebrities for all his movies. I was a little weirded out by the stop-motion animation but loved the characters.

It was 7:36am in Vancouver when I landed. I was so excited to see Kates but knew I had to go through the obligatory customs and baggage claim. Also, I wasn't sure my Kates was going to be there at the time I walked out as it was an early hour. Either way, I went through customs in a flash but waited 15 minutes for my bags. Finally, I claimed my little bag (it'd been with me through so much) and it made it back to Canada just like me. I headed for the exit, with my customs form in hand. I walked around the wall and down the corridor, already spotting the eager faces awaiting their relatives through the security doors.

In an instant I noticed the gorgeous blonde girl, holding two Tim Hortons cups and a box of 10 timbits! I was elated and raced past the ever-slow people to get to my sister. It was the best reunion ever. Kates had gotten me a French Vanilla Timmy cappuccino and we had the best shrieking embrace in the middle of the Vancouver airport. AMAZING!! I immediately began to spew stories like it was my J-O-B and Kates listened with anticipation and excitement. I was still reeling at being home. Jet lag started to encompass my cerebrum but I was alerted by being home and the reality of being home was sinking in - sadly.

We took a few trains and buses to get back to her friend's place - recapping all the way. Recapping is an understatement. How do you recap 3 months and a life-changing experience? There's still so much to tell. Either way, no one could have gotten a word in edgewise between us as we made our way to our hostel and checked into a 4-bed dorm. We made it in, napped, and I awoke to Kates saying her friend Andrew Lackie was enroute to meet us for drinks. I was sooo jet lagged but knew I had to force myself. Within 20 mins I was up, dressed, and drinking vino on this Vancouver Saturday night when Lackie arrived. He's this gorgeous family friend who's traveled through Australia also, so I had much to discuss when he arrived. Slowly but surely we all polished off our booze and made our way to a bar across the street.

If you've ever been jet-lagged by 15 hours and decided to make it to a bar, I applaud you. Apparently I took a nasty spill and botched my ankle. I don't actually need to add the 'apparently' as the evidence is obvious looking at my ankle this morning. It's a bit ravaged, with some nasty cuts and an obvious limp which doesn't add to my attractiveness at all.

We stayed at the bar for a few hours and danced, drank (Lackie decided to snap the neck of my beer bottle and it hurtled towards the ground, shattering into a mess of glass and suds), and headed out by 3am. I am not sure what time this is in Sydney but decided not to convert it for psychological purposes.

What a great night back! I love Canada and of course had no trouble going out and getting back into the swing of things in this great country. I really miss my travels and I'm so sad it's over. I can't begin to describe the weirdness of it all. I've been planning it for months and now it's done. I want to go back, already, and will do so. I've caught the travel bug... cough* cough*

No comments:

Post a Comment