Thursday, January 14, 2010

At the Davey's

It is the second morning in which I've woken up in Melbourne. As I lie in bed I still cannot believe my luck! The bed is comfortable, the room is clean and open, the sun streams in but the air is fresh, and I am in a delightful home with an amazing family who has opened their doors to me in the most hospitable way possible. Thanks to my friend Tom, I have a wonderful place to stay for the next few weeks. The Davey's live a 30-minute tram ride from the Australian Open's Rod Laver arena. The family of four owns a house filled with character, wine, food, friends and laughs. Their eldest daughter (27) is studying overseas and the youngest (24) is at home working full time. They have ever so kindly made the empty bedroom into a place for me.

Let's back-pedal a bit... I left Sydney and Bronte Beach refreshed and tanned, ready for the next phase of my IWA. Everyone was sleeping when I left Dane's, and I wished I had been too. The night before leaving we all went to the Beach Road Hotel where I mistakenly had a few screwdrivers before downing a few beers. Someone tell Mel she makes a strong screwdriver!! While I had a full dinner and a few waters (I really did, Mom!) I still felt the effects of a hangover the following morning. Combine that with waking up at 5:30am and the prospect of a long journey ahead and I was about ready to cry.

I climbed on the 6:30am city bus, but waited 15 minutes outside at the stop for it. It was a fresh morning and I longed to be one of the jogger's on the ocean path below. Instead, I got on the cool bus that would take me to Bondi Junction terminal, hopped on a subway to Central Station, stood in line at the Country Link to confirm my ticket was the right one and which platform to go to, bought a few magazines and a much needed water before boarding. Phew! All this while my hangover settled in. At least I hadn't pulled my tooth out the night before.

Once on board the train I was feeling considerably better. I finished my blueberry muffin and watched as the city faded around me to the most extensive, often barren and interesting countryside I've ever seen. This train ride from Sydney to Melbourne was much different than the one to Katoomba. Instead of snaking through the mountains, this train soared along a scorched and open countryside. The scenery was incredible. Giant fields and gradual hills were dotted with the odd tree - the only signs of life amidst desert-like conditions. In the distance mountains loomed but we didn't come close to them.

The ride felt quicker than I'd expected it to. I really enjoyed taking the train and arrived in Melbourne exactly 12 hours after I'd left. Tom was waiting for me and we jumped on a tram to head for the Davey's, who'd said it was fine for me to arrive a few days earlier than planned. We arrived and were met with tremendous warmth. The house is spectacular. It's so cute, it's hard to describe it. The kitchen is farm-house-ish with open concept shelves lined with jars, mugs, and art. Everything is so accessible. The living room is like a lodge, with exposed wooden beams and large windows lining three-quarters of the room. The country-feel of the house is sort of English but brings in the new Australian feel that I've never experienced.

Jumping back to last night after my Australian Open post, I returned home and was welcomed into a family barbecue with delicious mustard chicken, potatoes and salad on the menu. Wine was flowing and my glass was routinely refilled by others. It felt surreal to be sitting with a group of strangers and welcomed into their everyday lives and conversations. It's been this way ever since I arrived and I feel so lucky to have it.

Today I am due back at the tennis at noon to help Tom and perhaps write another match summary. I can't wait to report back on the gossip from the tennis.

1 comment:

  1. Clean as in NO cockroaches? None? This cant be!

    I can't wait to see pictures of this place!

    ReplyDelete