Friday, January 15, 2010

Close encounters of the tennis kind

Wow.

Yesterday, while walking through the restricted media halls here at the Open (I have a pass that lets me go there) I nearly bumped into one of my long time favourite players Lleyton Hewitt. How can I make a 2-second encounter into a longer one? Here's a crack at it: (Cue the dramatic music overture) He looked right at me, his piercing blue eyes making contact with mine. He was mid-sentence, talking to his coach, as we passed but for a split second he eyed me as if to smile but then continued. He turned and disappeared down the corridor as my heart pounded louder than all our footsteps combined. (End Scene). There. Don't worry, Brennan, the man didn't really notice me haha.

Double Wow.

And, just now, following Tom through the media halls, we both find ourselves behind a 2-seated baby carriage. Who in the tennis tournament would have children needing a 2-seated baby pram? Hmmm... maybe his name starts with an R and ends in an -oger...

Sure enough, just a few steps ahead of the carriage is Federer's wife, carrying one of his newborn daughters. Holding the other baby is Rog's agent's wife. I knew the 'boss' had to be around somewhere.

They mingled in the main hallway for a bit before Federer himself appeared. He's much taller in real life than I'd imagined and he was dressed in all white, not his signature black, or what he used to wear when he first turned pro. What a classy guy. He's so elegant.

While Rog didn't look directly at me, I was only 5-feet from the legendary player. Outstanding!!!

Tom is off doing an interview and also said that if he finds a Canadian player that he knows, he's going to ask if that player could get me into the Official Player's Party happening ce soir at 7pm downtown. IMAGINE! I don't know yet what will happen, but you can bet I'll fill you in nevertheless.

1 comment: