Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Georgie

If sitting on a train for 12 hours as the Australian countryside passes you by is your idea of fun, then you're like me. I've just booked my train to Melbourne and it gets me there in the evening after leaving Sydney at 7:30am next Wednesday. I found a great deal on the price and even booked ahead for my hostel in Melbourne for two nights. I'm not sure what the deal is yet with the family I am staying with. But I've learned my lesson to not go into a situation without a place to stay.

The nice part of being at Dane's is having the time and freedom to do anything. Like my sister said on the phone this morning, I was totally thrown into this trip last week and now I have the ability to sit back and settle in. George Costanza is my companion. He is the little King Charles Cocker Spaniel dog owned by the twin sisters who live with Dane.

He's the cutest and is currently sleeping next to me as I sit on the couch watching tennis.
Yes, I know it's not good to watch too much tv when you have a beach nearby, so my plan is to go to the beach right after I post this.

Dane's parents just stopped by. They are so nice
and even invited me to come and visit them for a night or two on my way back up from the tennis. They live in a small place over an hour away and it would be great to visit.

Aside from being happy that I booked the next phase of my trip, I am really settling in here. I find it hard to picture friends and family back home with a 16 hour time difference because its just so different to be awake and going to a beach when I visualize everyone sleeping! We watch Entertainment Tonight at 10am here and get all the news a day later, which is a bit odd. It's also nice to cut the slave-ties to the North American culture.

So while I assure you my upcoming posts will be a bit more exciting than this one as nothing much has happened over the past three days, I am quite content at living the beach life and will keep you posted regardless. Cheers!