Thursday, January 28, 2010

Weekend finals here at the Open

I was very lucky (I keep using that word!) today to stumble upon Andy Murray - maybe I should leave the sentence like that - while he was practicing on court 4. I watched his match last night as he defeated Cilic and was amazed at how far the Brit/Scot has come in the AO. To set the record straight, Murray isn't the grumpy, whiny kid most people think of when they read or hear about him. He was joking, laughing, playfully hitting the ball in the direction of his comrades and even handed out balls to the crowd after.

I'm sure no amount of practicing can prepare him when he faces either Federer or Tsonga, the winner of that match to be determined tonight. And here we are - two days left of tennis and it's been a phenomenal few weeks here in Melbourne.

I'm much poorer now than when I woke up this morning. I had my hair done this a.m., highlights and cut, and it looks amazing! I've never had such a good cut. It's cute, summery, blonde and worth every penny (although they don't use pennies here haha).

It is also because I spent a few hundred today that I avoided booking my travel plans, at least until tomorrow. I couldn't bear to part with another couple hundred and for some reason, waiting 24 hours before I do again felt logical. I am a bit confounded as to what to do next! I've settled into life here in Melbourne, so much so that taking off and arriving in another foreign country to check into a hostel feels about as normal as leaving Toronto to go to Sydney in the first place. I'm very excited for New Zealand and it is certainly going to be where I go next, but I'm just not sure where to start off my LOTR ROTK (Frodo fans know that one) journey.

I'll be booking it tomorrow and have a few options: fly to Wellington and stay with a family friend for a few days to get my bearings; or fly to Christchurch, hostel-it-up and make my way to Wellington after a week on my own. These are both viable options and I'll do both of them at some point, the question is in what order? The answer is, it doesn't matter!

For now, I have the last few days to look forward to here in Melbourne. Tonight, a Sydney friend is in town at the tennis. Tomorrow, it's the women's final game and all will be a-buzz here. Sunday is of course the men's final match - can't wait. Sunday night is also the media party here in the cafeteria with booze and food. Then Monday night is a double-party for the web team and also Tommy T. is taking all us fun-seekers out for dinner. I hope to do both but Tom mentioned it's ok for me to divide my time 70(tennis party)/30(dinner).

I can't wait to fill you in on this weekend - it's my last hurrah here in Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment