Sunday, January 31, 2010

Media team party at Long Room

Hi Folks!!! Federer is playing Murray in the final as I type this. There is a hush in the media area and the arena outside is packed. I can't believe it's almost all over. Working here at the tennis has been the greatest experience ever. I'm tempted to reapply and come back next year, but then I'd be out of pocket a couple thousand... again. (Pic on left is writing on centre court - I got to go stand there and take pics after! See newer blog post).

I've booked my ticket to New Zealand, leaving next week. It only came to $200 one-way, which I thought was a good deal. It's about a four hour flight, I'm really excited. The best part of this so far has been not knowing what's happening next (to some extent). Being stranded in Sydney with no rooms was one thing I probably wouldn't plan the same way if I were to do it over, but not knowing what's coming and where I'll go is so great.

I'm just a bit tired today, and I'll explain why. I got home at 4:30am yesterday - first time in a while I've been out THAT late. But before that, I went out for lunch with a Canadian girl, Nicole, who I met in Bondi Beach in Sydney who is also traveling solo. She's from Saskatoon and is loving her time here. Nicole and I had beers and potato wedges in Richmond at a place called Wild Oscar's. We chatted about everything - she's heading to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road, and then into the Outback - quite the adventure. We have such a great connection, being Canadian but we're also both outgoing and funny.

Then, that night, it was the media party at a club downtown called Long Room. The name speaks for itself - it's a long, basement room with a swanky feel to it. With our media accreditation passes, we were able to by-pass the line, so I couldn't turn that one down. However, I wasn't prepared, so just before Serena and Henin stepped on court I took a short tram ride into the city to buy an outfit for the night. It was hot yesterday - it reached 36 Celsius and was still that hot at 6pm when I made my quick shopping spree into town.

I rode the tram to Flinders St. and walked up five blocks to the shopping area. Melbourne is famous for its little shopping districts and for the best stores. I went to 'Cotton On', what Melburnians call the cheap version of Zara. I bought a pair of black heels and two skirts, one black and one purple, so I'd have options. I made it back to the tennis in good time and was lucky to walk in when I did because a girl who works at the media desk, Kate, was also just arriving. She mentioned that she and a group of girls were going to the Heineken tent to watch the match and invited me along.

If I could describe a perfect night, it would be last night. The air was very warm but there was a light, cool breeze. The moon was at its fullest and largest in years (thanks for the article on that UJ, very interesting), and it was a Saturday night women's final match in Australia - can it get any better? I made my way over to the 'Oval' which is a little outside centre here at the tennis with shops, activities, and of course a beer and wine tent complete with two giant big screens. I met the girls and we watched the women's match. There was a noticeable favour for Justine but Serena beat her - all the while we were all remarking on how Serena can possibly play tennis with such big... hmmm, whats the word.... 'bbbbbandages on her legs' hahaha. Well, you know what I mean. But honestly, she's a powerhouse and I'm not a big fan of her.

Either way, we stayed til the end, then Kate and I made our way to her apartment, which is right near the tennis and the downtown area, and we changed into our bar clothes. Her place is amazing! We waited for our friend Malin and then all walked to the bar.

Melbourne is so much fun at night. There's a very carefree vibe, but you know people are still in for a serious night of dancing and drinking. We made it to the bar and bypassed all the people in the line, flashing our media badges like we were Federer himself, and strolled inside. The music was loud, typical hip hop and club music, and it was really good and varied throughout the night. What's more is the Australian Open had arranged for the media folks to have a private area so we went behind another velvet rope (sorta) to sit up behind the bar and chill with our own kind, or 'Journos' as they're called.

It was nearing midnight when the rest of them showed up - they'd been waiting for the Nestor match to end. The six of us girls danced, drank ($9 glasses of wine) and mingled, and before we knew it, the lights were coming on and it was 3am, closing time. We were herded outta there like cows and everyone flooded out onto the streets, confused as to where to go next. We all walked to a place called 1806 where I stayed for 10 minutes and then took a cab home. It was a fabulous night!!

Tonight there is another media party here and tomorrow the web team is going to a bar called the Post Office Hotel for a wrap up party. Then I'm outta here.

I thought about how many nights I've gone without having some booze and couldn't remember the last night I was drink-free (whoops!). I also can't remember the last day I haven't gotten sun. The way of life down here is so relaxed. I'm also picking up a lot of the lingo here. People say 'I reckon' instead of 'I think', they say 'heaps' instead of 'a lot', and they say 'flat out' when they mean 'really busy'. I've said 'good on you' many times and I like it! Good on me!

So, I may not be able to blog until I get to New Zealand, but when I do, you can guarantee some stories. Until then, (I'll do a little acceptance speech here) I'm so happy with everything in Melbourne and I'm sad my time is ending here. It's been a GREAT run and I'll really miss the people, the tennis and the many friend/shopping/drinking/tennis celebrity adventures. Adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment