Sunday, January 10, 2010

Beach to beach via vespa


There are a few must-dos that I've picked up while here in Sydney. Or, must-not-dos, as I should say. Must not walk/run/drive on the right hand side. Must not kick sand on people as you walk past them on the beach. Must not stick feet out while riding back of the Vespa. Must not steal someone else's assigned movie theatre seat. Must wear sunscreen and drink water... etc. I also learned how a tattoo does last forever - don't worry, I didn't get one - but I do see many 60+ bodies with tattoos and somehow feel that Australia is ahead of the times for aging tattoo-owners. This would be a perfect time to insert the picture of the old man with the shark fin tattooed on his forehead, only I didn't get a picture!

The past week at Dane's has been phenomenal! From beach days to vespa rides, I feel like I've really gotten to know the place, his friends and the way of life around here. Needless to say, the way of life is much more relaxed and laid back than Canada. For one, instead of grumbling to your neighbour while shoveling your driveway on a cold Monday morning, you smile at your fellow joggers who flock to the beachside path.

This morning was my second morning jogging along the cliffside 'Bronte-to-Bondi' walk. It's actually called Bondi to Coogee, but I never made it that far. The path overlooks the many beaches that carve the landscape from Dane's place to the most famous beach in Australia: Bondi Beach. The ocean sparkles in the rising sun. The beaches are empty at 7:30am but await the many revelers who will flock to them later on in the day. The keenest of keen surfers unload their boards from the trunks of their cars parked along the cliffside edge. Today I did what I did on Saturday morning, I jogged along the ring of trail all the way to the cliff edge and stopped to look out at the waves crashing down on the rocks below. There is one particular rock which is flat and big and the waves wash completely over it and then recede, allowing the sun to dry off the surface for one bitter sweet moment before another wave comes to envelope it once again. It's mesmerizing to watch. If you are insane, it would be quite frustrating to watch.

This weekend was a great old time. The Sydney Festival started on Saturday night, so after a day of beaching and snorkeling (and tanning in the hot sun which was almost too hot at one point), we headed into town. The Reverend Al Green(e?) was the guest singer and while the event was fun, the best part was the company. Dane, his friend Scott, and their four women found a spot on the grass and we joked, at meat pies, and took tons of pictures.

Sunday was a laid back day full of beaching and barbecueing. We even went to see Sherlock Holmes again and I enjoyed it just as much (the other three hadn't seen it, so I was happy to go again).

The best and probably most rewarding part of the weekend was taking a ride on Dane's Vespa. The Vespa, a convenient and popular method of transportation, is a hot little red thing that Dane uses to get around town. Hopping on the back and strapping on my helmet, I felt like I was more prepared to rocket into space, but the little motor scooter is much more modest.
I was a bit scared at first (maybe also because we drove on the left) but it was amazing after a few minutes. They say to do something everyday that scares you - well that was certainly it and can probably count for the whole month!

So, it's been one week since I arrived here and I'm so lucky to have friends who live in such a place and who are hospitable enough to take me in. I leave for Melbourne soon and will go there via train on Wednesday morning, so today and tomorrow are the last days I have here before I go and do some work. The weather said it's going to be 43 celsius in Melbourne today! Yikes! It will cool off before I arrive, though. It'll be sad to leave, especially knowing that the apartment will be torn down in March and in its place a few million dollar houses built. I'm glad I got to see and stay at "the best place ever to live," - Dane Parkinson.


1 comment:

  1. Haha I forgot about the guy with the sharkfin tattoo! I find your list very accurate, but don't forget never to ask "Who is winning" during a Cricket Match.

    We must do the "walk" together when I return! Just not at night, I don't want to be chucked off a cliff!

    ...and it is the best place ever to live!

    ReplyDelete