Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Australia Day

It's been one month since I landed in Australia, which is really hard to believe. Time has gone by really fast since I arrived! I just watched Federer beat Davydenko in 4 sets - it's hard not to cheer for the GOAT (greatest of all time), but when you're sitting in the media section you have to show no bias. I couldn't help but clap once the match was done.

The tennis will be over in four days and I really have to start planning the next phase. This week has been much more low key than last. I've spent my days sleeping in, having leisurely breakfasts and reading sessions with the Davey's. I then head into the tennis, never getting in earlier than noon or 1pm. It's a nice way to live your life! But, I end up staying here til 10:30pm or later, as the night matches are by far the best.

I've spent the past two lunches chatting with a Swedish bloke who is 29 but looks 20. He is here to cover the tennis and to write his first non-fiction novel about the 'underbelly' of Australia, i.e. the drug-related side. I told him I've written two trilogies already (haha). Of course they are unpublished and are left wanting.

Today, sitting in the web team room, I spotted my favourite tall Croatian guy, Karlovic, walking in the media room. He noticed me, too, and in the split second when he walked past the door, he stuck out his giant arm and gave me a wave! We are buddies now. He's still playing in the doubles, despite losing to Rafa. I watched Ivo play doubles last night against two guys who Tom and I bumped into at an ice cream shop in St. Kilda. That was cool.

Yesterday was Australia Day here. I almost shouted, 'Happy Canada Day' as Tom and I watched the fireworks from the pit-like patio in the bowels of Rod Laver. The last fireworks show I watched was from the Washington Mall on July 4th. What a far ways away that was.

So, as you can read, not much is going on. I shouldn't be blah-say (sp?) - I love the tennis and there is a lot going on everywhere I look. I've come up with a routine and have only a few days left before I'm swept off my feet again in New Zealand. I wonder what adventures I'll find myself in there...

1 comment:

  1. Mel, I have spent 30 years fantasizing about taking a dream trip to Australia, seeing the sights, meeting cool people, and Tom Tebbut too, and experiencing the Australian Open. And it's finally happened...but to you,not me! Oh, what a world, what a world...
    Big party at my place Sunday. You are sure to be a main topic of conversation.
    Luv reading the Fantastic Adventures of The Travelling Shpee. Keep it coming. Uncle S.

    ReplyDelete